November 14, 2010

Re: ASL Poetry by John Maucere

Take a look at these two ASL "poems" by Maucere. He came to Regina last year for our 75th Anniversary (Saskatoon Association of the Deaf). He is an outstanding performer. Note that he uses about three handshapes only to represent different concepts. This is called "visual rhythm". Here are the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSiquwxJAa8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg6U0Snczc4&feature=related

Joanne

2 comments:

Berny Hi said...

Very interesting. I like the concept of visual rhythm here. I have used rhythm in animation, but never like this.
I also find it interesting what you mentioned during the first meeting, how grammar is all in the face. I did not know that was even a possibility before.
I watched a few more ASL performances on youtube and came across this animated individual:
Deaf Man's ASL Storytelling, "Batman"
He seems to be a pleasant storyteller. I like how he using a bit of digital effects to accentuate the plot, specifically around 2:45 where there is a camera blur/shake digitally put in during the editing process.
I also like, what I assume is, the fight scene that happens around that same timecode.

Chrystene said...

Yeah, that's pretty cool, Joanne! Even someone with limited ASL like mine can understand the stories he tells.

Thanks for the Batman post too, berny! I love this guy; his work is really fun. I just wish I were more fluent in ASL and could understand everything!

There has to be a way to work with this stuff; it's such great visual storytelling, and has such an intrinsic connection with 'primitive' or 'primordial' or 'pre-lingual' affect and communication. The gestural came long before the verbal for each of us and of course for us as an animal.

Cool stuff!