Hi team! It's me, Kat, writing my first post. It's about the wonderful world of THEATRE THEORY! Funnest. Thing. Ever. Especially in an interdisc project. Right? Right.
Thanks to Chrystene, I got my hands on a copy of Jacque Lecoq's The Moving Body. JLC has been hugely influential for me, via amazing physical theatre teachers I have had. I assume everyone is equally excited by him. And thus I embark upon a lil blog series wherein I will keep you apprised of words of theatre wisdom I stumble across. If I was a wittier blogger (less deterred by bathroom humour) I would call said series, Le Daily Coq.
This book is brimming with creation philosophies that are BANG EFFING ON what (I think) we are trying to do.
I'm on page 41. Here are some gems so far:
My work has always nurtured a dual aim: one part of my interest is focused on theatre, the other on life. I have always tried to educate people to be at ease in both. My hope, perhaps utopian, is for my students to be consummate livers of life and complete artists on stage. (18)
In my method of teaching I have always given priority to the external world over inner experience. In our work the search for self-enlightenment and spiritual bliss has little attraction. The ego is superfluous. It is more important to observe how beings and objects move, and how they find a reflection in us. We must give priority to the horizontal and the vertical, to whatever exists outside ourselves, however intangible. People discover themselves in relation to the external world, and if the student has special qualities, these will show up in the reflection. (19)
BAM. I know - Why read on? What more could possibly lie ahead? You are completely satisfied already. The man gave that away on page 19.
I have a strong belief in permanency, in the 'Tree of trees', the 'Mask of masks', the balance that sums up perfect harmony... Starting from an accepted reference point, which is neutral, the students discover their own point of view. Of course there is no such thing as absolute and universal neutrality, it is merely a temptation. This is why error is interesting... Error is not just acceptable, it is necessary for the continuation of life, provided it is not too great. (20-21)
To mime is literally to embody and therefore to understand better. A person who handles bricks all day long reaches a point where he no longer knows what he is handling... If he is asked to mime handling a brick, he rediscovers the meaning of the object, its weight and volume... Every true artist is a mime. Picasso's ability to draw a bull depended on his having found the essential Bull in himself, which released the shaping gesture of his hand. (22)
Novelty is not, in itself, indispensable. Probing the depths of one strand leads to the discovery that everything is contained within it. (23)
LOVE IT? You want more?
"Yes. I am dying for some good JLC quotes re. neutral mask!" (That's you.) [Neutral mask] should enable one to experience the state of neutrality prior to action, a state of receptiveness to everything around us, with no inner conflict... Beneath every mask, expressive masks or commedia dell'arte masks, there is a neutral mask supporting all the others... Its moves have a truthfulness, its gestures and actions are economical. (36; 38)
Neutral mask puts one in touch with what belongs to everyone, and then the nuances appear all the more forcefully. These are not nuances of character, since there is no character, but all the little differences which separate one performer from another. (41)
Last is a bit on "waking
up." (This is the name of an exercise in which the masked performer
literally wakes up for the first time. Also, you can think of it all
metaphorical-like; it makes v. good sense to me. I LOVE THIS
PASSAGE. THAT'S WHY IT'S LONG AND LAST.)
Sometimes students have a tendency to first move their hands, then their feet, to discover their own bodies, while all along an extraordinary dimension is being offered to them: space... We have to explain that it is unimportant to know how many fingers a human being possesses and that it's not worth having a dialogue with one's own body when, much more simply, the world is there to discover. Others try to enter into a dialogue with another mask that's performing at the same time. They remain staring at one another but neither can respond to the other. In fact a neutral mask is never able to communicate face to face with another mask. What could a neutral mask say to another mask? Nothing. All they can do is find themselves together, facing an outside event which interests both of them. (39)
WAS THIS NOT THE BEST PART OF YOUR DAY? I wish I had written it.
Seriously, though. Take out my obnoxious glib banter and this post contains pure genius. Copy it into Word, delete this shit, and post it on your wall. Your ACTUAL WALL.
2 comments:
Yes!!! YESSSS! Thank you for this too. It all speaks to me.
Especially imperative to me is the whole concept of approaching the work through the world, through observation, and with the open honest eyes of a clown/neutral mask/baby. It is completely contrary to the Method. And it's the way we're going to get into this project. It will be the way for us to be honest and clean, without a lot of extra 'show and tell' or -- as we used to call it -- "Kirking with Gas" (in honor of Capt. James T. Kirk).
Loving the daily Le Coq!
x
hmmm, interesting.
i do like the idea of giving life to the environment and space between things.
Post a Comment